[Openstack-operators] [nova][glance][keystone] Philosophy of the service catalog (was: Who needs multiple api_servers?)

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed May 24 13:32:29 UTC 2017

On 5/10/2017 1:29 PM, Mike Dorman wrote:
> After discussion in the Large Deployments Team session this morning, we
> wanted to follow up on the earlier thread [1,2] about overriding
> endpoint URLs.
>
> That topic is exposing an underlying implication about the purpose of
> the service catalog.  The LDT position is that the service
> catalog should be for end user clients to do endpoint discovery.  While
> it can also be used for discovery by other OpenStack services, we desire
> to maintain the ability to override (like that which was discussed in
> the previous thread about Glance.)  In addition to the Glance to
> nova-compute use case, the feedback during the LDT session surfaced
> potential use cases for other services.
>
> The point to raise here from LDT is that we would like to avoid a trend
> toward services **only** supporting discovery via the service catalog,
> with no ability to override in config.  I.e., we want to maintain the
> endpoint_override (and similar) options.
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-April/116028.html /
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2017-April/013272.html
>

> [2]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/thread.html#116133
> /
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2017-May/thread.html#13309

Have you read the spec in question [1] and if so, does it suit your needs?

It specifically calls out the need to honor the existing glance
api_servers config option, but it says we are going to honor for a
release but deprecate the other service endpoint override options in
place of using the service catalog.

Are there other specific services that you need to override which a
private/internal endpoint type in the service catalog doesn't work for you?

[1]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/pike/approved/use-service-catalog-for-endpoints.html

Matt