[Openstack-operators] How do you determine remaining (cloud) capacity?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu May 4 20:09:26 UTC 2017

Blair Bethwaite wrote:
> On 5 May 2017 at 03:26, Joshua Harlow<harlowja at fastmail.com>  wrote:
>> Though technically not horrible it does seem like the various openstack
>> project APIs should provide there own projections of this same data (without
>> needing to scape it, send it to hadoop and then do various projections
>> there).
>
> Consistent APIs to query this data (just Nova and Cinder would do),
> from the same perspective as the respective schedulers see it as
> opposed to some kind of error prone scraping, would be brilliant. The
> cell capacity API has some flavor capacity information (we save that
> for display: https://status.rc.nectar.org.au/capacity/) but, at least
> in cellsv1, the capacity information is useless if there are any
> non-toy nova-scheduler constraints in place, e.g., it doesn't know if
> a host cannot launch a certain flavor.

Neats yours @ https://status.rc.nectar.org.au/ looks better than ours.

Is that whole code, and data pipeline anywhere in the open?

Maybe useful to work on a common project(?) while at the same time
putting pressure on the projects themselves to get the data out of there
schedulers (in a queryable manner, one that does not result in spinning
up *actual* instances, volumes..., but instead tells u how many 'spin
ups' could be possible or if the spin up u requested could be satisfied).

-Josh