[Openstack-operators] need input on log translations

Jaesuk Ahn bluejay.ahn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 07:01:20 UTC 2017

I’ve heard from several Korea operators, and I too was involved in OpenStack operation. I cannot represent everyone here in Korea, but It is mostly clear that log translation are not beneficial for operators, at least here in Korea.

Thanks.

Jaesuk Ahn, Ph.D.

Software Defined Infra. Laboratory, SK Telecom

On 2017년 3월 14일 (화) at 오전 12:15 Doug Hellmann

<
mailto:Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
> wrote:

a, pre, code, a:link, body { word-wrap: break-word !important; }

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2017-03-10 09:38:43 -0500:

> There is a discussion on the -dev mailing list about the i18n team

> decision to stop translating log messages [1]. The policy change means

> that we may be able to clean up quite a lot of "clutter" throughout the

> service code, because without anyone actually translating the messages

> there is no need for the markup code used to tag those strings.

> If we do remove the markup from log messages, we will be effectively

> removing "multilingual logs" as a feature. Given the amount of work

> and code churn involved in the first roll out, I would not expect

> us to restore that feature later.

> Therefore, before we take what would almost certainly be an

> irreversible action, we would like some input about whether log

> message translations are useful to anyone. Please let us know if

> you or your customers use them.

> Thanks,

> Doug

> [1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-March/113365.html

We've heard from several European operators on this thread, and their

input makes it clear that log translations are not useful to them.

IIRC, the translation feature was originally added for some of our APAC

users. Is anyone from APAC actively using the feature?

Doug