[Openstack-operators] Flavors

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Thu Mar 16 05:10:13 UTC 2017

Follow-up thought:

> This concept has never been questioned anywhere I can search, so I have a
feeling I'm missing something big here. Maybe other ways are too
complicated to implement?

This topic does get brought up from time to time, but in different areas
under different names. Off of the top of my head, a past discussion about
quota management and how one could limit the amount of SSD disk space a
user could use while giving them larger access to a spindle disk.

Being able to manage different characteristics about a resource (disk size
vs disk IOPS) is a complicated thing to do and it's certainly not a solved
problem. I don't want to say something like "flavors are just the accepted
norm" because that would be doing them a huge injustice, but I did want to
follow-up and say that you're not alone if you've hit issues with the way
resources are bundled. :)