[Openstack-operators] need input on log translations

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 08:20:50 UTC 2017

Whole idea with log translation is half-backed anyway. About the half of
important log messages contain output of things outside openstack. Libvirt,
ip, sudo, kernel, etc. In any i18n installation there going to be some
amount of untranslated messages. This kills whole idea of localization.

Modern operator ought to know English at 'technical reading' level anyway.
Therefore, localization does not achieve it goal, but cause pain instead:
search segmentation, slightly misleading translation (f.e. 'stream' and
'thread' both translate into Russian 'поток', which brings ambiguity),
different system may use slightly different translation, causing even more
mess.

As Russian speaker and openstack operator I definitely don't want to have
logs translation.