[Openstack-operators] need input on log translations

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Mar 10 14:38:43 UTC 2017

There is a discussion on the -dev mailing list about the i18n team
decision to stop translating log messages [1]. The policy change means
that we may be able to clean up quite a lot of "clutter" throughout the
service code, because without anyone actually translating the messages
there is no need for the markup code used to tag those strings.

If we do remove the markup from log messages, we will be effectively
removing "multilingual logs" as a feature. Given the amount of work
and code churn involved in the first roll out, I would not expect
us to restore that feature later.

Therefore, before we take what would almost certainly be an
irreversible action, we would like some input about whether log
message translations are useful to anyone. Please let us know if
you or your customers use them.

Thanks,
Doug

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-March/113365.html