[Openstack-operators] [puppet] Deprecating Postgresql support

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 19:03:26 UTC 2017

On 4/27/2017 8:54 AM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> [adding mailing-lists again]
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Benedikt Trefzer <trefzer at cirrax.com> wrote:
>> Hi Emilien
>>
>> On 27.04.2017 13:38, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> We didn't see anyone using Postgresql when deploying Puppet OpenStack:
>>> - no feedback on ML or IRC
>>> - no bug report in Launchpad
>>
>> Because it just works !
>> We use it.
>
> Good to know. That's the kind of information that we like to know
> because we're blinding doing stuff for users that we don't know much.
>
>>> Postgresql support (or call it how you want) is also removed upstream
>>> in OpenStack.
>> Do you have any reference for this ?
>> I could not find anything  about this !
>>
>>> We will deprecate the class that used to deploy Postgresql in Pike and
>>> remove the code in Queens.
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460249/
>>>
>>> Any feedback is very welcome before we do it.
>> My Feedback: so sad, but are there any chances to change ?
>
> We hate when our users are sad. No worries, we won't break you.
> Right now, the immediate concern is that puppetlabs-postgresql 4.9.0
> (latest tag) doesn't work with puppetlabs-concat 4.0.0. We have to pin
> it to 3.0.0 in Puppet OpenStack CI and we don't like pins.
> If you or someone from your team could fix puppetlabs-postgresql, we
> could unpin and be happy again.
>
> On my side, I'm fine to let puppet code that manage postgresql
> databases,users,permissions. It's not something 1) breaks often 2)
> change often, so the cost of maintenance is imho low. But I'll let the
> decision to other folks in our group.
>
> Thanks for this feedback!
> Please keep giving more of it, on public channels.
>
>> Greetings
>>
>> Benedikt

Support for postgresql has not been dropped in OpenStack. Deprecating it
has been proposed:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/427880/

There is also a session at the upcoming Forum in Boston about this:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/boston-2017/summit-schedule/events/18730/deprecation-of-postgresql

Matt