[Openstack-operators] [puppet] Deprecating Postgresql support

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 13:54:42 UTC 2017

[adding mailing-lists again]

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Benedikt Trefzer <trefzer at cirrax.com> wrote:
> Hi Emilien
>
> On 27.04.2017 13:38, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> We didn't see anyone using Postgresql when deploying Puppet OpenStack:
>> - no feedback on ML or IRC
>> - no bug report in Launchpad
>
> Because it just works !
> We use it.

Good to know. That's the kind of information that we like to know
because we're blinding doing stuff for users that we don't know much.

>> Postgresql support (or call it how you want) is also removed upstream
>> in OpenStack.
> Do you have any reference for this ?
> I could not find anything  about this !
>
>> We will deprecate the class that used to deploy Postgresql in Pike and
>> remove the code in Queens.
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460249/
>>
>> Any feedback is very welcome before we do it.
> My Feedback: so sad, but are there any chances to change ?

We hate when our users are sad. No worries, we won't break you.
Right now, the immediate concern is that puppetlabs-postgresql 4.9.0
(latest tag) doesn't work with puppetlabs-concat 4.0.0. We have to pin
it to 3.0.0 in Puppet OpenStack CI and we don't like pins.
If you or someone from your team could fix puppetlabs-postgresql, we
could unpin and be happy again.

On my side, I'm fine to let puppet code that manage postgresql
databases,users,permissions. It's not something 1) breaks often 2)
change often, so the cost of maintenance is imho low. But I'll let the
decision to other folks in our group.

Thanks for this feedback!
Please keep giving more of it, on public channels.

--
Emilien Macchi