[Openstack-operators] Connecting 2 OpenStack clouds

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Fri Sep 30 07:52:29 UTC 2016

On 30/09/16 14:06, Michael Stang wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question if it is possible to connect 2 Openstack clouds to use
> the ressources together?
>
> We have a Mitaka installation at our site and we have colleagues who
> also have a mitaka installaton at their site which are both independent
> at the moment. We want to create a site-to-site vpn tunnel between our 2
> management networks (with openvpn) so that both installations can see
> each other, and we searching now for a possibility to connect both together.
>
> Is there already some way to connect both controllers so the users of
> the one site can also use the resources of the other site and start
> instances there from their controller on the other controller?
>
> How is this done in  large installations when 2 clouds should be
> connected to each other? Is this even possible?

Quick overview of various ways to do related things here:

http://docs.openstack.org/ops-guide/arch-scaling.html#segregating-your-cloud

In short, you can run up another nova-api running nova-cells to be a
"parent" of the two installations. Then your users (and horizon) can
connect to that and see all the resources.

http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/compute/cells.html

Pretty advanced usage though, so you might want to become fast friends
with the "Large Deployment Team", many of whom run this configuration :)

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Large_Deployment_Team