[Openstack-operators] Connecting 2 OpenStack clouds

Michael Stang michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de
Fri Sep 30 12:11:26 UTC 2016

Hello Saverio,

thank you for the links. I think Federation is the one we want to do (if
possible), because we have two independent clouds we want to share which each
other for use, so Federation might be the way we can go.

I will have a look at the documents about it.

Thank you and have a nice weekend.

Kind regards,
Michael

> Saverio Proto <zioproto at gmail.com> hat am 30. September 2016 um 09:27
> geschrieben:
>

> Hello,
>
> If your setup has a single user database, so all users are under the
> same administrative domain, what you describe is like having different
> Openstack Regions, or different Nova Cells.
> I would suggest to look into Multi Region that is the easier to implement.
> http://docs.openstack.org/arch-design/multi-site-architecture.html
>
> If your setup has users in the two clouds that are managed under two
> different administrative domains, then what you are talking about is
> Cloud Federation.
>
> We had a discussion about it in Machester:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/MAN-ops-Keystone-and-Federation
>
> If your university is interested in Federation you should be aware of
> this workshop:
> https://eventr.geant.org/events/2527
>
> Cheers,
>
> Saverio

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a question if it is possible to connect 2 Openstack clouds to use the
> > ressources together?
> >
> > We have a Mitaka installation at our site and we have colleagues who also
> > have a mitaka installaton at their site which are both independent at the
> > moment. We want to create a site-to-site vpn tunnel between our 2 management
> > networks (with openvpn) so that both installations can see each other, and
> > we searching now for a possibility to connect both together.
> >
> > Is there already some way to connect both controllers so the users of the
> > one site can also use the resources of the other site and start instances
> > there from their controller on the other controller?
> >
> > How is this done in large installations when 2 clouds should be connected
> > to each other? Is this even possible?
> >
> > Thank you and kind regards,
> > Michael

Viele Grüße

Michael Stang
Laboringenieur, Dipl. Inf. (FH)

Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg Mannheim
Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Mannheim
ZeMath Zentrum für mathematisch-naturwissenschaftliches Basiswissen
Fachbereich Informatik, Fakultät Technik
Coblitzallee 1-9
68163 Mannheim

Tel.: +49 (0)621 4105 - 1367
michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de