[Openstack-operators] User gets: Requested volume exceeds quota, with 8 volumes in Dashboard

Saverio Proto zioproto at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:43:09 UTC 2016

Hey,
once I had a very weird problem with quotas. Usually the quota is per
tenant/project. But somehow you can limit the quota per specific user.

Please can you check in your nova database if this table is empty:

project_user_quotas

mysql> describe project_user_quotas;
+------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field      | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id         | int(11)      | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| created_at | datetime     | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| updated_at | datetime     | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| deleted_at | datetime     | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| deleted    | int(11)      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| user_id    | varchar(255) | NO   | MUL | NULL    |                |
| project_id | varchar(255) | NO   | MUL | NULL    |                |
| resource   | varchar(255) | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| hard_limit | int(11)      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |

This introduces quota specific for a single user regardless of the
quota of the project, as far as I understand.

In our case we had no idea of this table. One of our operator managed
to make a CLI command that entered a specific quota limit for a
specific user.

Maybe you are also in this corner case ?

Saverio