[Openstack-operators] host maintenance

Juvonen, Tomi (Nokia - FI/Espoo) tomi.juvonen at nokia.com
Thu Oct 13 06:12:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

Had the session in Austin summit for the maintenance:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AUS-ops-Nova-maint

Now the discussion have gotten to a point that should start prototyping a service hosting the maintenance. For maintenance Nova could have a link to this new service, but no functionality for the maintenance should be placed in Nova project. Was working to have this, but now looking better to have the prototype first:
https://review.openstack.org/310510/

>From the discussion over above review, the new service might have maintenance API connection point that links to host by utilizing "hostid" used in Nova and then there should be "tenant _id" specific end point to get what needed by project. Something like:
http://maintenancethingy/maintenance/{hostid}
http://maintenancethingy/maintenance/{hostid}/{tenant_id}
This will ensure tenant will not know details about host, but can get needed information about maintenance effecting to his instances.

In Telco/NFV side we have OPNFV Doctor project that sets the requirements for this from that direction. I am personally interested in that part, but to have this to serve all operator requirements, it is best to bring this here.

This could be further discussed in Barcelona and should get other people interested to help starting with this. Any suggestion for the Ops session?

Looking forward,
Tomi