[Openstack-operators] Rados Gateway to Swift migration

Xav Paice xavpaice at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 05:57:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 15:42 +1100, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
> Nice! But I'm curious, why the need to migrate?

Hmm.  I want to be diplomatic since both are great for their thing.

For us, the main reason was simply that we wanted replication of the
object storage between regions (we started the process before that was a
feature in RGW), but also being a public cloud we also wanted to be able
to bill customers for their usage, and we were finding that incredibly
difficult with Rados Gateway in comparison to Swift.

That, and we found customers were using RGW as a backup, and that's on
the same storage back end as our Cinder and Glance - moving to a
different platform makes it separate.

There's a few other features in Swift that aren't in RGW, and we have
customers asking for them, which really matters a lot to us.

There's pros and cons for both, I don't regret us using RGW but it just
doesn't suit our needs right now.