[Openstack-operators] sync power states and externally shut off VMs

Adam Thurlow thurloat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 04:58:16 UTC 2016

If you are interested in manually mucking around with local virsh domain
states, and you don't want nova to interfere, you can just stop the
local nova-compute service and it won't be doing any syncing. Once you
get those instances back into their desired state, you can restart
nova-compute and it won't be any wiser.

You can obviously shoot yourself in the foot using this method, but I
can understand in some cases that large hammers and manual virsh
commands are necessary.

Cheers!