[Openstack-operators] Cloud Upgrade Strategies

Robert Starmer robert at kumul.us
Thu Mar 3 23:04:06 UTC 2016

I have to agree, unless you start with CI/CD as your deployment model,
you're going to be doing full upgrades.  And be aware that at least one
package model will overwrite your carefully crafted config files if you
choose the wrong option.  Having tried an upgrade to a system in the middle
of an upstream update, I can say that this is potentially a painful few
hours tracking down what's changed, and where my config files got tweaked
(yes, I'm looking at you Keystone...).  Fun for all ages.

And while I agree that it is difficult to stand up two clouds, you can
stand up a smaller  new cloud, migrate those workloads that are cloud
native (just heard your cattle that-a-way), and as the load increases,
migrate the hardware from one cloud to another.  It's almost a square
dance, and it's never perfect, but it is doable...