[Openstack-operators] Cloud Upgrade Strategies

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Wed Mar 2 21:34:33 UTC 2016

Hey all,

So I've been discussing cloud design with the team and of course the topic
comes up about how upgrades will be handled.

Handling OpenStack code updates generally consists of three paths in my
experience:

   - CI/CD (continuous incremental upgrades)
   - In-place Full Release upgrades (upgrade an entire cloud from Icehouse
   to Kilo for instance)
   - Migrating old cloud to new cloud

Is there a cloud maintenance strategy I'm missing that doesn't fall into
the categories above? How are the rest of you adopting your cloud upgrade
strategies and how has cloud size impacted whatever strategy you ultimately
selected? Migrating workloads from an Icehouse cloud with 1000 nodes to a
Liberty cloud with similar capacity isn't always a realistic option due to
cost, upgrading a cloud in place is super-risky and CI/CD takes a lot of
development and testing overhead.

For CI/CD strategies, I'm also curious how the rest of you are handling
disruptive tasks (for example replacing a vRouter with a newer version,
updating the SQL schema etc etc)? Just looking to learn from everyone's
experiences to hopefully keep my own thinking on where it needs to be.

Thanks!!!

//adam

*Adam Lawson*

AQORN, Inc.