[Openstack-operators] Kilo ->-> Mitaka anyone have notes :)

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Mon Jun 27 12:32:11 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016, at 07:58 PM, Sam Morrison wrote:
> I’ve done kilo -> mitaka with Keystone and all worked fine. Nothing
> special I needed to do.
>
> If you’re wanting to do live upgrades with nova you can’t skip a version
> from my understanding.

Correct. Not without doing the work yourself to make it possible, and
realizing that it's untested/unsupported and likely will bring out
gremlins.

In order to make db migrations less painful, i.e. faster, Nova moved to
a system where only schema changes occur in the sqlalchemy-migrate
migrations and all data is migrated by another nova-manage command which
can be run while the system is in use. But the side effect of this is
that the data migration needs to take place for each release, and there
are checks in place to ensure this happens. Unless you have an empty
database "nova-manage db sync" won't even complete successfully for
kilo->mitaka since there's a check in place to ensure the liberty data
migration took place.