[Openstack-operators] DNS searchdomains for your instances?

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Mon Jun 20 19:07:29 UTC 2016

Hello all,

Wondering how you guys are handling the dns searchdomains for your instances in your internal cloud.  Currently we are updating the network metadata template, on each compute node,  to include the dns-search-domains options.  We (Josh Harlow) is working on implement the new network template that nova created (in liberty) and are trying to get this added.  Currently nova/neutron doesn't support any option to specify this metadata/information anywhere.  I see some work on the neutron side to allow setting of extra dhcp-opts network wide (currently only allowed on a port) [1] [2].  But once that gets merged, then changes need to be made on the nova side to pull that extra data into the network.json.

So that begs the question how are other people handling this?

[1] (spec) - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/247027/
[2] (code) - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/248931/

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer