[Openstack-operators] [Magnum] Container on bare metal or container on VM

Hieu LE hieulq19 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 13:17:13 UTC 2016

Hi folks,
CC Hongbin Lu - PTL of Magnum and Zun.

(sorry for cross-posting because of sending to wrong ML)

I am very interested in container-related projects in OpenStack
ecosystems, especially Magnum and Kolla and I also have a plan to
deploy Magnum in my lab for HPC researching purposes. But I have some
questions regarding of deployment model of Magnum:
1. What is the pros/cons of deployment containers on VMs comparing
with containers on bare metal? I have seen RackSpace providing their
container service on bare metal and some other providers, but Amazon
use container on VM instead.
The only problem I saw with container on VM is only about management
of quota and resources. Deploying containers on VM will lead us to
think about whether we need to provide more containers on x VM for
user or we need to provide x+1 VMs for user to scale based on their
needs. There are 2 layers for operators to manage: 1st is VMs
quota/resources and 2nd is containers.
2. Currently Magnum is on her way to implement the integration with
Ironic but I can not see the clearer way to keep track about this
feature (I have read the etherpad of Magnum team after summit). My
team really want to contribute in this feature but we need something
clearer to make a decision. Can you provide us some specs or related
bp?

Thanks,
Hieu LE.