[Openstack-operators] Upgrade OpenStack Juno to Mitaka

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 15:30:44 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 03:19:28PM +0000, Jesse Keating wrote:
> I'll offer a counter point.
>
> We're not doing Juno to Mitaka, however we are doing Kilo to Mitaka, skipping
> over Liberty.
>
> The database migrations to get from Kilo to Mitaka have ran smoothly for us.

While it is great that it /appeared/ to work correctly for you, that is in
no way guaranteed. There also might be data that has silently been incorrectly
migrated due to missing the intermediate release that could cause problems
at some indeterminate point down the road. While we do test the N -> N+1
upgrade path, there is no CI testing of the N -> N + 2 upgrade path. IOW
while it may have worked for you between these 2 particular releases, there
is again no guarantee it'll work for any future pair of N, N+2 releases.
If you want to accept the risks, that's fine, but I'd certainly not suggest
it is a reasonable thing todo for deployments in general. Also what happened
to work for you may just as easily not work for other people, depending on
characteristics of their deployment configuration & data set.

Regards,
Daniel