[Openstack-operators] [HA] RFC: user story including hypervisor reservation / host maintenance / storage AZs / event history (fwd)

Juvonen, Tomi (Nokia - FI/Espoo) tomi.juvonen at nokia.com
Mon Jun 13 10:52:29 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm working in the OPNFV Doctor project that is about fault management and maintenance (NFV). The goal of the project is to build fault management and maintenance framework for high availability of Network Services on top of virtualized infrastructure.
https://wiki.opnfv.org/display/doctor

Currently there is already landed effort to OpenStack to have ability to detect failures fast, change states in OpenStack (Nova), add state information that was missing and also to expose that to owner of a VM. Also alarm is triggered. By all this one can now rely the states and get notice about faults in a split second. Surely with system configured monitor different faults and make actions based configured policies, or leave some actions for consumers of the alarms risen.

For maintenance I had a session in Austin to talk with Ops and Nova core about the maintenance part. There it was seen that Nova didn't want more specific information about host maintenance (maintenance state, maintenance window...), so as a result of the discussion there is a spec that was now transferred to Ocata: https://review.openstack.org/310510/
The spec proposes a link to Nova external tool to provide more specific information about host (compute) maintenance and by latest comments it could have any host specific extra information to the same place (for example you have mentioned event history). Still if looking this kind of tool, why not make it configurable for anything convenient for different operator scenario like automatic operations if so wanted. Anyhow project like Nova do not want big new functionalities, so all "more complex flows" should reside somewhere outside.

Br,
Tomi