[Openstack-operators] [sahara] - Hadoop on Openstack and swift storage only: how to set --os-storage-url in core-site.xml ?

Saverio Proto zioproto at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:00:18 UTC 2016

Hello !

I made some tests running Hadoop on our Openstack Cloud. The idea is
to do map reduce examples but using the swift storage instead of HDFS.
We have Ceph backend for cinder volumes so HDFS on top of that does
not really fit.

I managed to configure hadoop to access swift with
swift://container.provider syntax:

https://github.com/zioproto/hadoop-swift-tutorial

Now I am blocked because I have some very large containers with
Scientific Datasets that I would like to access within Hadoop.

If you go back in the mailing list to the thread "Swift ACL's together
with Keystone (v3) integration" the problem is well explained.

I have read permission to a container that belongs to a different
tenant, and with the swift command line I need to pass the
--os-storage-url argument.

But how to specify the --os-storage-url in the core-site.xml Hadoop
configuration file ?
I have not find any documentation that explains this !

https://github.com/openstack/sahara/blob/master/sahara/swift/resources/conf-template.xml

Are Sahara people reading this mailing list ?

Thanks any feedback is appreciated !

Saverio