[Openstack-operators] Ops Meetup event sizes

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Wed Jun 1 19:42:28 UTC 2016

On 06/01/2016 03:29 PM, David Medberry wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:12 AM, Matt Jarvis <matt.jarvis at datacentred.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> The general consensus in the discussions we've had, and from the Austin
>> summit sessions and the Manchester feedback session, is that between
>> 150-200 attendees should be the maximum size.
>>

> Two comments, points
>
> 1) The last day of the Austin summit, ops had their own room. It was very
> poorly organized and had about 40ish seats and another 10-20 people on the
> floor. Even with just 40ish before it got SROd, it was difficult (again,
> primarily because of the layout) to keep to one conversation and have
> everyone interested participate. That said, I think the layouts we've had
> for the Mid-Cycles I've been to are more amenable to discussion with kind
> of podium and audience layout.
>
> 2) I think with that podium/audience layout 200 is doable 300 is probably
> max. We'll still need quite a few 2ary rooms of at least 20 people size to
> make progress in breakouts.
>
> So, I'm 300ish max.

I've attended the Palo Alto and Manchester Operators meetups.

In Palo Alto (I don't have the size statistics) I talked with a handful
of people, most of whom I knew already. I didn't have the energy to meet
new people as I had concerns of being mobbed rather than considered as
one participant in an active discussion.

In Manchester (I don't know the size but I think it was more around 100)
I met a lot of new people over the two days. I was much more comfortable
having group chats with folks I didn't know (I had no visions of some
group targeting me for interrupting) so I could relax and get to know
some new folks, which was nice since for me this is my goal. In sessions
we kept seeing the same faces so I learned some people's names and by
the end was able to ensure folks were included (I chaired the feedback
session) since I could acknowledge them by name and I hope they felt
more participant than audience by the end.

This is my own biased opinion, take it for what value you find in it.

Thank you for asking the question, Matt,
Anita.