[Openstack-operators] Ops Meetup event sizes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 1 09:49:22 UTC 2016

Sam Morrison wrote:
> As an operator what should I prioritise now the main summit is changing,
> the thing formally known as the summit or the ops mid cycle?
>
> Will there be operator sessions at the summit still?
>
> Sorry if this has already been mentioned but still not 100% sure how
> operators fit into the new model.

There will still very much be operator sessions at the Summit.

The Summit is basically where all our community gets together, where we
can close the feedback loop between end users, operators and developers,
but also listen to future business needs, technology trends, new products.

It is only one week though, and we need to make the best use of it,
taking advantage of the fact that everyone is around. So the change is
prioritizing cross-community sessions / on-boarding / communications
activities over more introspective team meetups and getting specific
things done.

The way I see it, the Ops meetups would be where you go to exchange
operators best practices, discuss common pain points, come up with
priorities to feed back into development... The Summit would be where
you would complete that feedback loop by communicating those priorities
back to development, give direct feedback on your experience with the
last release, comment early on new efforts that are being proposed for a
future development cycle, meet with end users, learn about new projects,
new tools and tricks... One is Ops-centric, and the other is about
meeting and engaging with everyone else.

So the activities at both events will be slightly different but Ops
presence is needed at both.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)