[Openstack-operators] Stopping clean-up in instances_path (Nova)

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Jul 29 14:20:58 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Rayson Ho <raysonlogin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am debugging an instance launch failure (SRIOV PCI passthrough
> related) and I would like to look into the last state of the instances
> before they fail during launch.
>
> I tried to Google it (seems to be a useful way of debugging launch
> failures), but there does not seem to be a flag to stop cleanup in
> $instances_path. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to inspect
> the state of an instance before it gets cleanup by nova-compute??

Nova supports "soft deleting" instances when they are terminated. These
instances end up in a SOFT_DELETED VM state before they are cleaned up
after reclaim_instance_interval seconds. This is enabled by setting
reclaim_instance_interval to a value other than zero.

I'd point at some flag documentation that explains all that, but it doesn't
seem to exist.

Hope this helps,
Michael

--