[Openstack-operators] [nova] VM HA support in trunk

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Mon Feb 15 15:59:09 UTC 2016

I believe that either have your customers design their apps to handle
failures or have tools that are reactive to failures.

Unfortunately like many other private cloud operators we deal a lot with
legacy applications that aren't scaled horizontally or fault tolerant and
so we've built tooling to handle customer notifications (reactive). When we
lose a compute host we generate a notice to customers and then work on
evacuating their instances. For the evac portion nova host-evacuate or
host-evacuate-live work fairly well, although we rarely get a functioning
floating-IP after host-evacuate without other work.

Getting adoption of heat or other automation tooling to educate customers
is a long process, especially when they're used to VMware where I think
they get the VM HA stuff for "free".