[Openstack-operators] [osops] Finding ways to get operator issues to projects - Starting with NOVA

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Tue Apr 12 13:09:50 UTC 2016

Joseph Bajin wrote:
> Maybe I'm wrong about this, maybe all the entries from the etherpads are
> read by projects and fed into their pipelines.

They might, but they also might not. There are more etherpads created
than there is human capacity to process. Same thing with bugs and RFEs.
Just making them isn't sufficient.

My point is: Kris had success, I believe, because they went to the
Neutron midcycle and participated directly in the development process.
Neutron developers were informed of their need, consensus was built, and
the work got done.

"Throwing it over the wall" in the form of user stories, working groups,
and other things is not enough. Unless we have operators active in the
developer community, pushing things the way Kris' organization did,
things will just stay as they are.

I have experience with this. When the organization I was part of
*needed* IPv6 to work, we had to form a team of developers from
interested organizations, within the Neutron community, to get things
done. Writing a user story and just waiting for it to "happen" probably
won't work.

> That last point is what I am looking to help change.  There is a lot that I
> think the group can help out with to make sure we capture what we get via
> etherpads and turn them into "Blueprints", "Bugs", etc so we can help
> follow-up with projects and track them for the entire Operators group.

I think this is a great idea.

--
Sean M. Collins