[Openstack-operators] Kilo NFV Performance Optimization advices on compute nodes

Pedro Sousa pgsousa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 21:49:54 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm trying to deploy some nfv apps on my Openstack deployment, however I'm
having some performance issues in my VMs, that start to lose UDP packets at
a specific packet transmission rate.

 Here's what I've tried and found so far:

- VMs Centos 7.1 with 10GBe Neutron SR-IOV nics
- Configured Memory Hugepages:
http://redhatstackblog.redhat.com/tag/huge-pages/
- Configured CPU Pinning and NUMA Topology:
- Increased memory network buffers in kernel
- Running "egrep ens6 /proc/interrupts" I see network Interrupts are not
balanced evenly inside my guest across CPU cores, always hitting the same
CPU.

Concerning this last issue does anybody have some good advices on how to
tackle this, how can I share the network load across the vcpus inside the
guest or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Some pointers would be appreciated.

Regards,
Pedro Sousa