[Openstack-operators] Double NAT in neutron ?

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Wed Oct 28 03:21:04 UTC 2015

If you have a NAT server that translates public IPs to private IPs, then it is
always going to get the inbound traffic to the public IP.

So, even if the public IPs are routable on the local network (are you sure they
are?), you wouldn't be able to use those public IPs as long as the NAT server is
listening for inbound traffic to those IPs. You might send traffic out, but the
return traffic is going to go to the NAT server and not your VM.

None of this has anything to do with OpenStack or private IPs, you just have
local routing issues.

-Dan Sneddon