[Openstack-operators] telemetry secret

gord chung gord at live.ca
Thu Oct 1 14:17:55 UTC 2015

hi Ignazio,

the purpose of the telemetry_secret is to enable the ability to sign and
validate datapoints transferred between Ceilometer services -- this is
to ensure the data isn't tampered with. you just need to ensure the
telemetry_secret value defined in config file used by
polling/notification agent(s) is the same as the telemetry_secret value
defined in config file used by collector service(s).

that said, in your environment, the security provided by your message
queue might be enough for you to ensure data integrity. if so, you can
just leave the telemetry_secret value blank to avoid the overhead of
signing and validating each datapoint

On 30/09/15 12:35 PM, Ignazio Cassano wrote:

> Hi everyone, I reinstalled openstak kilo telemetry and I forgot to
> save my old telemetry secret , so I created a new one and wrote it in
> ceilometer.conf .
> Is telemetry secret stored  in other places ?
> Regards

gord