[Openstack-operators] OPs Midcycle location discussion.

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Wed Nov 18 21:08:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 03:44:03PM -0500, Erik McCormick wrote:
:I'm still fishing for more specific details, but here is a snapshot of
:how the Ceph Development Summit is handled.
:
:http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph/wiki/CDS_Jewel
:
:It was previously done via Google Hangouts, but is now done using
:Bluejeans. This is interesting especially since I believe Bluejeans is
:an Openstack operator. I wonder if there's anyone from there on this
:list that might be able to chime in with useful suggestions for us?
::).

One very important thing to keep in mind, with Ceph's remote summit
everyone is remote & thus on a level field.  If we try and bring in
real time remote participation to a primarily in-person event there
are additional challenges.  Off the topp of my head:

1) Managing the social impedence mismatch between local and remote
participents.  There may be way technology can help or hurt this, but
it is basicly a social problem we'll need to address.

2) More technically we'll need to address the challenge of local
sound, how to we ensure all the mostly spontaious talk in a large work
session makes it to remote participants.  Passing a mic is a bit
cumbersome and hard to enforce, while mic'ing the room to properly get
ambient sound isn't likely something we can do without significant
professional help.

By all means if any has info on what's worked or not in the Ceph
summit that will be valuable input, just want to be sure we're
evaluating it in out rather different context.

-Jon