[Openstack-operators] OPs Midcycle location discussion.

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Tue Nov 17 17:48:08 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Donald Talton <DonaldTalton at fico.com>
wrote:

> I’ll +1 option 1 too, if we can get remote participation that would
> suffice.

Having been to several of these I think that we can call remote
participation a stretch goal at best, and if I'm being honest, I just don't
think it's going to be very feasible.

It's often times difficult enough to follow the conversation in a room with
100 people, some speaking without a mic; not sure how a remote person can
be expected to jump into that type of discussion. Perhaps different for
smaller, focused WGs sitting around a conference table would work for some
remote participation? I think for main sessions the best you can hope for
is someone adding to the etherpad before the discussion (this is my plan
for the UK midcycle). Not physically being there also puts you at a
timezone disadvantage and for me it's sometimes difficult to connect from
my "real job".

We do these in-person because there's a benefit to being in-person and I
don't want to detract from that with conference lines etc.