[Openstack-operators] CentOS 7 KVM and QEMU 2.+

Marc Heckmann marc.heckmann at ubisoft.com
Thu Nov 12 17:10:28 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Thu, 2015-11-12 at 16:54 +0000, Leslie-Alexandre DENIS wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I'm struggling at finding a qemu(-kvm) version up-to-date for CentOS 7 with official repositories
> and additional EPEL.
>
> Currently the only package named qemu-kvm in these repositories is *qemu-kvm-1.5.3-86.el7_1.8.x86_64*, which is a bit outdated.
>
> As what I understand QEMU merged the forked qemu-kvm into the base code since 1.3 and the Kernel is shipped with KVM module. Theoretically we can just install qemu 2.+ and load KVM in order to use nova-compute with KVM acceleration, right ?
>
> The problem is that the packages openstack-nova{-compute} have a dependencies with qemu-kvm. For example Fedora ships qemu-kvm as a subpackage of qemu and it appears to be the same in fact, not the forked project [1].
>

> In a word, guys how do you manage to have a QEMU v2.+ with latest libvirt on your CentOS computes nodes ?
> Is somebody using the qemu packages from oVirt ? [2]

Both the RHEV and RHEL Openstack distributions are using the qemu 2.x
packages. These are based on packages from the oVirt project.

The RDO rpms work fine with the oVirt qemu packages. This is what we are
using.

You can find more information about which RedHat distro spins get which
version of qemu here:

https://videos.cdn.redhat.com/summit2015/presentations/12752_red-hat-enterprise-virtualization-hypervisor-kvm-now-in-the-future.pdf

-m