[Openstack-operators] CentOS 7 KVM and QEMU 2.+

Leslie-Alexandre DENIS contact at ladenis.fr
Thu Nov 12 16:54:24 UTC 2015

Hello guys,

I'm struggling at finding a qemu(-kvm) version up-to-date for CentOS 7 with official repositories
and additional EPEL.

Currently the only package named qemu-kvm in these repositories is *qemu-kvm-1.5.3-86.el7_1.8.x86_64*, which is a bit outdated.

As what I understand QEMU merged the forked qemu-kvm into the base code since 1.3 and the Kernel is shipped with KVM module. Theoretically we can just install qemu 2.+ and load KVM in order to use nova-compute with KVM acceleration, right ?

The problem is that the packages openstack-nova{-compute} have a dependencies with qemu-kvm. For example Fedora ships qemu-kvm as a subpackage of qemu and it appears to be the same in fact, not the forked project [1].

In a word, guys how do you manage to have a QEMU v2.+ with latest libvirt on your CentOS computes nodes ?
Is somebody using the qemu packages from oVirt ? [2]

Thanks,
See you

---

[1] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/qemu-kvm