[Openstack-operators] nova rescue

gustavo panizzo (gfa) gfa at zumbi.com.ar
Mon Mar 30 02:39:37 UTC 2015

On 03/29/2015 11:19 AM, Joe Topjian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Without specifying a rescue image, Nova will use the image that the
> instance is based on when performing a rescue.
>
> I've noticed that this is problematic for "cloud-friendly" images such
> as the official Ubuntu images and the newer CentOS 7 images. I'm finding
> that /dev/vdb still ends up mounted as /, most likely because of the
> common label name being found. This, of course, defeats the entire
> purpose of rescuing.

> Is there an easy way around this or is the best practice to specify an
> image tailored specifically for rescuing? And if that's the case, can
> anyone recommend a good rescue image that's already in qemu format?

we have modified the cloud images to mount root fs from /dev/vda1
instead of UUID=something, we modified grub and /etc/fstab

we also added a warning on /etc/rc.local. as some people run servers in
rescue mode for a long time, and when the server was un-rescued they
lost data and that's not cool.

but we need to modify cloud images anyway to change repos, users, keys,
etc. so is just one more step on our image build process.

if is a minimal change you can download the image and run guestfish -a
image.qcow2

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333