[Openstack-operators] nova rescue

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Sun Mar 29 03:19:47 UTC 2015

Hello,

Without specifying a rescue image, Nova will use the image that the
instance is based on when performing a rescue.

I've noticed that this is problematic for "cloud-friendly" images such as
the official Ubuntu images and the newer CentOS 7 images. I'm finding that
/dev/vdb still ends up mounted as /, most likely because of the common
label name being found. This, of course, defeats the entire purpose of
rescuing.

Is there an easy way around this or is the best practice to specify an
image tailored specifically for rescuing? And if that's the case, can
anyone recommend a good rescue image that's already in qemu format?

Thanks,
Joe