[Openstack-operators] Packaging with fpm

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Mar 4 18:30:58 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Mathieu Gagné's message of 2015-03-04 09:39:34 -0800:
> On 2015-03-04 12:18 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Mathieu Gagné's message of 2015-03-04 08:31:45 -0800:
> >>
> >> I really like APT repositories and would like to continue using them for
> >> the time being.
> >
> > I'm impressed you took the time to setup dput!
>
> It's super simple to setup and use. Create a basic dput.cf and you are
> good to go.
>
>  > You can also use reprepro, which is somewhat handy for combining a
>  > remote repo with locally built debs:
>  >

> I use reprepro too. Super simple to setup and use, would recommend.
>
>  > You really only need to run apt-ftparchive on a directory full of debs:
>  >
>  > apt-ftparchive packages path/to/your/debs | gzip > Packages.gz
>  >

> This is something I would like to avoid as I might not always have full
> shell access to the repository from where the package is built.
>
> Furthermore, I don't have access to all the packages in the repository
> in the same folder to manually generate Packages.gz. (reprepro can do it
> for me)
>
> Ideally, I would like to upload a signed .changes control file to ensure
> the package wasn't tampered with or got corrupted during the transfer.
> (since .changes contains checksums)

So I guess I didn't realize that dput was that simple to make work for a
private repo. That's pretty interesting.

I do think that fpm not producing a .changes file is probably just a
matter of teaching fpm how to run the step that produces the changes
file, which probably wouldn't be as hard as changing all of your
workflow at this point.