[Openstack-operators] Scaling the Ops Meetup

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Tue Jun 30 17:36:08 UTC 2015

> -1 on paid registration, I think we need to be mindful of the smaller
> openstack deployers, their voice is an important one, and their access to
> the larger operations teams is invaluable to them.  I like the idea of
> local teams showing up because it's in the neighborhood and they don't need
> to hassle their budgeting managers too much for travel approval /
> expenses.  This is more accessible currently than the summits for many
> operators.  Let's keep it that way.

I understand your point.

IMO, the Ops mid-cycle meetup is a little different than a normal local
meetup you'll find at meetup.com. It's a multi-day event that includes
meals and an evening event. Being able to attend for free, while a great
goal, may not be practical. I would not imagine that the fee would be as
much as a Summit ticket, nor even broken down to the daily cost of a Summit
ticket. I see it as something that would go toward the cost of food and
such.

The OpenStack foundation does a lot to ensure that people who are unable to
pay registration fees are still able to attend summits. The same courtesy
could be extended here as well. As an example, David M has mentioned that
TWC may help (I understand that may not be official, just used as an
example of how others may be willing to help with that area).

Joe