[Openstack-operators] Image Based Backups

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:33:55 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Brendan Johnson
<bjohnson at paragusit.com> wrote:
> What are people using to perform image based backups of Windows and Linux VMs in OpenStack?  I am using KVM as the hypervisor, Ceph for block storage and Swift for object storage.  I know Cinder can backup volumes that are not in use (at least in Juno, that may have changed in Kilo).   I am looking for an image backup solution that allow the backup of online KVM VMs.  Integration with OpenStack would be nice but isn't a must.

Hi,

I don't have any good answers, but I just wanted to add that we get
this request as well. So, don't get me wrong, I don't think backing up
instances is all that  "cloudy" either, but some customers just expect
to have the ability to backup entire instances and are pretty
demanding about it.

So I too would love to hear about anything operators are doing in this area.

Also, I can imagine some basic scenarios for backing up an instance
and sticking it into swift, but what about restoring an instance?

Thanks,
Curtis.

> Thanks,
>
> Brendan Johnson