[Openstack-operators] [nova] disk I/O perfomance

Gleb Stepanov gstepanov at mirantis.com
Mon Jul 13 11:26:42 UTC 2015

Hello, Warren.

Yes, we use properly filled file on a single splining drive. All tests
are done with fio, here is a link on full test report -
http://koder-ua.github.io/6.1GA/ephemeral_drive.html.
Here is a link on report for same test, executed directly on HDD, used
for ephemeral storage -
http://koder-ua.github.io/6.1GA/compute_node_HDD.html.
We are using QEMU Debian 2.0.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1.13.
Your command has following output:

virtio-blk-device.drive=drive
virtio-blk-device.logical_block_size=blocksize
virtio-blk-device.physical_block_size=blocksize
virtio-blk-device.min_io_size=uint16
virtio-blk-device.opt_io_size=uint32
virtio-blk-device.bootindex=int32
virtio-blk-device.discard_granularity=uint32
virtio-blk-device.cyls=uint32
virtio-blk-device.heads=uint32
virtio-blk-device.secs=uint32
virtio-blk-device.serial=str
virtio-blk-device.config-wce=on/off
virtio-blk-device.scsi=on/off
virtio-blk-device.x-iothread=iothread

There only one vm on this compute node, and there a lot of free resources.
Ballooning driver should not influence  performance(FUEL 6.1).

Kind regards, Gleb Stepanov.