[Openstack-operators] openstack and xen

Álvaro López García aloga at ifca.unican.es
Mon Jul 6 07:43:07 UTC 2015

On 02 Jul 2015 (19:26), gustavo panizzo (gfa) wrote:
> Hello

Hi,

> 	has anybody moved from kvm to xen?
> i see the support for xen on nova's hypervisor support matrix got better on
> latest releases.

We're using Xen from the beginning, back in Cactus IIRC. In the past we
had to patch several things, but support has improved a lot.

> we found hard to isolate noisy vm on kvm, and the network problem (i sent on
> another email) is killing us
>
> besides, xen being used by rackspace and aws is not bad publicity at all
>
> so, is anybody using xen? what are they using? xenserver from citrix,
> xen4centos, xen on ubuntu, xen+libvirt? what are the results?

We are using Ubuntu + Libvirt + Xen, and we're happy with it. The only
thing that you have to take into account is that if you plan to use
PyGrub you cannot use CoW, mainly because PyGrub cannot read qcow2
images.

Cheers,
Álvaro López García                              aloga at ifca.unican.es
Instituto de Física de Cantabria         http://alvarolopez.github.io
Ed. Juan Jordá, Campus UC                      tel: (+34) 942 200 969
Avda. de los Castros s/n                            skype: aloga.csic
39005 Santander (SPAIN)