[Openstack-operators] How do you provide instance FQDN to the user?

Polombo Daniel DPolombo at voyages-sncf.com
Fri Feb 27 13:37:29 UTC 2015

> Polombo Daniel wrote:
>> I'm wondering how people are usually providing the instances' public
>> names (as in the FQDN associated to the floating IP) to the user?
>>
>> The dashboard provides direct access to the floating IP, obviously,
>> but I'm sure there's a better way than asking the user to perform a
>> reverse DNS resolution ...
>>
>> We need this functionality to provide the public names and give easier
>> internet access to our private cloud instances.
>Daniel,
>
> The answer, in large part, depends on your infrastructure. What process
> are you using to create the DNS A records for the floating IPs?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Raseley

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Regarding the floating IPs, we've declared the whole range in our internal DNS with predefined names (in essence, openstack-XX.internal.domain), and I intend to map these names to a public domain as well (openstack-XX.public.domain). The public names will actually point to a reverse proxy which will the redirect traffic to the correct internal address.

>From a purely technical point of view, the addresses are added to our Bind master through a set of scripts.

I didn't intend to create dynamic records for the floating IP just yet, I was planning instead to wait for Designate to mature a bit more.

Regards,

    Daniel