[Openstack-operators] Docker using novadocker vs coreos ?

Zeeshan Ali Shah zashah at kth.se
Thu Feb 5 09:00:26 UTC 2015

Thanks Christopher for details response,

What if we take this path
https://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-summit-atlanta-2014/session-videos/presentation/automating-service-orchestration-with-docker-and-coreos

that is have core OS images and use them to launch docker images over it.

any comment ?

/Zee

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Christopher Aedo <caedo at mirantis.com> wrote:

> The Nova-Docker driver is available here, and allows Nova to address a
> Docker host natively:
> https://github.com/stackforge/nova-docker
> There are some very recent commits, and it's being actively developed.
>
> The Kolla work (https://github.com/stackforge/kolla) has details on
> deploying Docker images via Heat templates (for the Triple-O project -
> but can easily be extended to Docker-specific stuff).
>
> Lars' blog post from last summer goes over the Docker plugin for Heat:
> http://blog.oddbit.com/2014/08/30/docker-plugin-for-openstack-he/
>
> The Magnum project (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Magnum) is young,
> but making fast progress.  If you're interested in OpenStack and
> containers it's a good one to keep an eye on.
>
> Finally, Murano (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Murano) can be used
> to launch VMs to as Docker hosts with the benefit of neutron-native
> networking for orchestration purposes (making an overlay like Flannel
> unnecessary if you are going to experiment with Kubernetes).
>
> -Christopher
>
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 7:05 AM, Zeeshan Ali Shah <zashah at kth.se> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Has someone tried running docker over OS ? I found
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Docker  little bit old, it's github repo
> > activities are not that frequent.
> >
> > other option is to have core-os as vm image and have docker over it .
> >
> > Any other options ?  specially for building cluster of dockers .. if we
> can
> > have elasticity that would be great.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Regards