[Openstack-operators] vxlan network and windows on guests

Sławek Kapłoński slawek at kaplonski.pl
Fri Oct 10 19:55:53 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have neutron with vxlan tenant networks. I'm using openvswitch to make vxlan
tunnels.
Today I found strange problem with instances with Windows server installed on
guests. First problem is that tcp sessions (like RDP connection beetween two
servers) in such tenant network are sometimes disconnected for a while (like
packet loss in network). Second issue is that I have not good performance on
windows. My hosts have got 10Gbps network cards, I have set jumbo frames
(mtu=9000 on hosts) and if I set for example mtu=8950 on linux guests than I
have about 9Gbps when test with iperf. On windows I have about 2-2.5Gbps with
mtu=1500 and even less with bigger mtu.
Do You maybe have such problems with windows guests using vxlan tunnels
network?
I'm testing it on Windows server 2012 R2.

---
Best regards
Sławek Kapłoński
slawek at kaplonski.pl