[Openstack-operators] Proposal for an 'Operations' project

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Nov 9 00:23:02 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-08 04:08:08 -0500 (-0500), Fischer, Matt wrote:
[...]
> Perhaps some of the code fits in some places as previously
> mentioned on the list, but the issue is that none of those
> projects really focus on operations. The projects are inevitably
> developer focused, despite the best attempts to get operator
> feedback.
[...]

I would counter that we have lots of operator-focused projects
already underway... the Infra and QA teams, for example, have plenty
of projects which are entirely shell scripts and configuration
management. If you were in any of the Deployment Program's design
sessions, there was a fairly consistent message that Triple-O is
encouraging direct involvement from the various config management
teams to bring more officialness to the diverse tools with which
OpenStack is deployed and managed at production sites.

If the projects you want to start aren't focused on deployment and
lifecycle management, nor on community infrastructure tools, nor on
documentation, then I would buy that there's some potential project
use cases for which we haven't made suitable homes yet. But I'd hate
to see that used to further what I see as an unnecessary separation
between "developers" and "operators."
--
Jeremy Stanley