[Openstack-operators] [OpenStack-Operators] [Cinder] Request for input on new/advanced features

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Tue Jul 29 03:25:18 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM, David Gurtner <aldavud at crimson.ch> wrote:

> Hi John
>
> Of the two ideas you describe regarding replication I believe both have
> their unique merits and would allow for some fancy uses. The main
> difference I see is in who can define what level of replications are
> available, the consumer of the API, or the operator.
> To me the second option is preferable, because the different drivers offer
> different kinds of replication (for example replication vs. erasure codes)
> and I am not sure a generic solution like the one suggested in the first
> option could offer the flexibility to optimally use the capabilities of the
> various drivers.

​Completely agree, and you've stated an easy summary of one of the
questions I was hoping to get input on when starting this thread.
​

> On the other hand I don't think the two options are necessarily mutually
> exclusive, and maybe the first option could exist in addition and on top of
> the second one.

​Agreed, I'm a big fan of iterative development, and the concept of start
small but think big :)
​

> At the same time I feel those are both advanced use-cases and the basic
> replication needs for a single site are already handled quite satisfactory
> by the current backend drivers. Therefore I believe the multi-site
> replication suggested by Gustavo would be the one thing where Cinder could
> really provide some added value on top of and independent of the backend
> drivers.
> Yay Pony!

For sure, this would be an ultimate goal.  It is sort of a Pony or Unicorn
for now, but at some point it would be the goal.  For now though it seems
independent from "which" impl to start with.

Thanks for the feedback!!
​