[Openstack-operators] [OpenStack-Operators] [Cinder] Request for input on new/advanced features

David Gurtner aldavud at crimson.ch
Mon Jul 28 22:38:01 UTC 2014

Hi John

Of the two ideas you describe regarding replication I believe both have
their unique merits and would allow for some fancy uses. The main
difference I see is in who can define what level of replications are
available, the consumer of the API, or the operator.
To me the second option is preferable, because the different drivers offer
different kinds of replication (for example replication vs. erasure codes)
and I am not sure a generic solution like the one suggested in the first
option could offer the flexibility to optimally use the capabilities of the
various drivers.
On the other hand I don't think the two options are necessarily mutually
exclusive, and maybe the first option could exist in addition and on top of
the second one.

At the same time I feel those are both advanced use-cases and the basic
replication needs for a single site are already handled quite satisfactory
by the current backend drivers. Therefore I believe the multi-site
replication suggested by Gustavo would be the one thing where Cinder could
really provide some added value on top of and independent of the backend
drivers.
Yay Pony!

Cheers,
David