[Openstack-operators] [OpenStack-Operators] [Cinder] Request for input on new/advanced features

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Mon Jul 28 22:06:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM, gustavo panizzo (gfa) <gfa at zumbi.com.ar>
wrote:

> On 07/26/2014 11:28 AM, John Griffith wrote:
> > Hey OS-Operators,
> >
> > There are two features being worked on currently that I'd love to get
> > some feedback on:
> >
> > 1. Replication
>
> i would like to Cinder to be able to replicate data between different
> backend storages.
>
> sometimes your DR site does not have the same storage backend as your
> primary site, this is common when you rent the DR site.
> the usual workaround for this is restore from backup over the DR
> storage, which is painful and slow.
>
> ideally i would have a Fast dedicated storage on primary site and a
> bunch of lun(s) attached to a box with iscsi+lvm to provide volumes to
> compute nodes.
>
> if i have storage from the same 'vendor' on both sites that's great!
> cinder could offload data replication to vendor's appliance
>
> i know is a pony what i'm asking for, but i would really make a difference

​Thanks Gustavo!
​
​I would really like that too, but the difficulties in doing that are
exactly what I don't want to introduce, at least until we get a first pass
with say "like storage systems" working.  Definitely understand the
need/desire here but at the same time I'm also not a fan of implementing a
feature that's just slightly more than unusable.
​