[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] The state of nova-network to neutron migration

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Mon Dec 22 19:08:58 UTC 2014

On 12/22/2014 01:32 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> [...]
>>> get involved if you want to see this happen as badly as I have been told
>>> you do.
>>>
>>> Where we are:
>>>     * a great deal of foundation work has been accomplished to achieve
>>> parity with nova-network and neutron to the extent that those involved
>>> are ready for migration plans to be formulated and be put in place
>>>     * a summit session happened with notes and intentions[0]
>>>     * people took responsibility and promptly got swamped with other
>>> responsibilities
>>>     * spec deadlines arose and in neutron's case have passed
>>>     * currently a neutron spec [1] is a work in progress (and it needs
>>> significant work still) and a nova spec is required and doesn't have a
>>> first draft or a champion
>>>
>>> Where I would like to get to:
>>>     * I need people in addition to Oleg Bondarev to be available to help
>>> come up with ideas and words to describe them to create the specs in a
>>> very short amount of time (Oleg is doing great work and is a fabulous
>>> person, yay Oleg, he just can't do this alone)
>>>     * specifically I need a contact on the nova side of this complex
>>> problem, similar to Oleg on the neutron side
>>>     * we need to have a way for people involved with this effort to find
>>> each other, talk to each other and track progress
>>>     * we need to have representation at both nova and neutron weekly
>>> meetings to communicate status and needs
>>>
>>> We are at K-2 and our current status is insufficient to expect this work
>>> will be accomplished by the end of K-3. I will be championing this work,
>>> in whatever state, so at least it doesn't fall off the map. If you would
>>> like to help this effort please get in contact. I will be thinking of
>>> ways to further this work and will be communicating to those who
>>> identify as affected by these decisions in the most effective methods of
>>> which I am capable.
>>>
>>> Thank you to all who have gotten us as far as well have gotten in this
>>> effort, it has been a long haul and you have all done great work. Let's
>>> keep going and finish this.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Anita.
>>>
>>> Thank you for volunteering to drive this effort Anita, I am very happy
>> about this. I support you 100%.
>>
>> I'd like to point out that we really need a point of contact on the nova
>> side, similar to Oleg on the Neutron side. IMHO, this is step 1 here to
>> continue moving this forward.
>>

> At the summit the nova team marked the nova-network to neutron migration as
> a priority [0], so we are collectively interested in seeing this happen and
> want to help in any way possible.   With regard to a nova point of contact,
> anyone in nova-specs-core should work, that way we can cover more time
> zones.
>
> From what I can gather the first step is to finish fleshing out the first
> spec [1], and it sounds like it would be good to get a few nova-cores

Wonderful, thank you for the support Joe.

It appears that we need to have a regular weekly meeting to track
progress in an archived manner.

I know there was one meeting November but I don't know what it was
called so so far I can't find the logs for that.

So if those affected by this issue can identify what time (UTC please,
don't tell me what time zone you are in it is too hard to guess what UTC
time you are available) and day of the week you are available for a
meeting I'll create one and we can start talking to each other.

I need to avoid Monday 1500 and 2100 UTC, Tuesday 0800 UTC, 1400 UTC and
1900 - 2200 UTC, Wednesdays 1500 - 1700 UTC, Thursdays 1400 and 2100 UTC.

Thanks,
Anita.