[Openstack-operators] [large deployment] Large Deployment Team December Meeting

Matt Van Winkle mvanwink at rackspace.com
Wed Dec 3 21:24:56 UTC 2014

Greetings all,

First off, let me apologize for being behind on getting anything out on
this.  I sort of jumped right back into running a cloud after the summit
and then the holiday week snuck up on me, so this is way overdue.

Thanks again to all who came and participated in the discussion back on
November 6th.  It was very productive and I look forward to working with
all of you going forward.  If anyone would like to peruse the notes, you
can find them here:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-summit-ops-large-deployments

---Meeting Time ----
During the initial session, we all pretty much agreed that once a month
was the right cadence for now.  I'd like to go ahead and get one in during
December to keep some momentum going. For now, I'm targeting Wednesday or
Thursday the week after next to beat the Christmas/New Year holidays for
most.  In order to make it as useful as possible, I've created the
following doodle to pick a time that works best for this month:

http://doodle.com/wgd4df5fsr684xz9

Going forward, we'll build in a little predicability to the timing (see #3
below).  We'll plan for an hour and see if we need to change that in
future months.

---Meeting Topics----
I went through the Paris notes, pulled out a couple of Top Priority items,
layered in some unfinished business (regular meeting times) and at least
one of the things we said could discuss on a regular basis (specs).  This
gave me the following rough agenda:

1.  Designating "representatives" from the group to attend the various
mid-cycles
2.  A "Quick win" discussed in Paris: feedback to the devs on periodic
tasks that we have disabled/tweaked for various reasons
3.  On-going, set meeting times (with some options for different time
zones - alternate each month, two sessions a month, etc)
4.  Any specs that folks want to bring to the attention of the group
5.  Plans/goals for this group during the Ops mid-cycle
6.  Other business

I bet we'll be hard pressed to cover all that in an hour, and by no means
do we have to use this exact agenda, but it made sense to me to start the
conversation with these items.  I've gone ahead and created the following
etherpad:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Large-Deployment-Team-Meetings

So we can hash things out further in there or here on the mailing list.

---Other Bits----
I did try and get some wiki spaces, etc set up, but lack permissions, so
I'll harass some people to help me get that fixed up.  I noticed there
actually isn't even an overarching Operators page, so we should probably
see about that as well.  Once we've decided the ongoing meeting time
structure, I'll work to get that added here -
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings - too.

Go ahead and hit the doodle and note the options that work for you.  I'll
pick one that seems to provide the most coverage at the end of the week so
folks have time to plan it in their schedule.  Sorry again, that it's a
bit rushed this time around.  It will be easier in future months.

Thanks!
Matt

--
Matt Van Winkle